David R. Cawley was born on December 13, 1925 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania the son of David and Bertha Cawley. Mr. Cawley was a graduate and class President of the St. Anselm College Class of 1954, earning a BA in English and a minor in secondary education.
Mr. Cawley began his teaching career at Bishop Bradley High School, now known at Trinity High School. From 1955 to 1957 he was a “Teaching Principal” at a three room school in Allenstown. He was also the physical education teacher, and a bus driver.
In 1958 Mr. Cawley moved to the Hooksett School District namely the Village School. In 1962 he became the Principal of the Village School. In 1967 he was named the “Supervising Principal” of the Underhill School until a principal could be hired. The following year Mr. Cawley was named the “Coordinating Principal”. In 1971 Mr. Cawley became the Assistant Superintendent for Supervisory Union #53, which was made up of Allenstown, Candia, Deerfield, Hooksett, Pembroke and Raymond. The following year he became the Superintendent of Schools.
In the fall of 1973, the School Districts of Candia, Hooksett and Raymond petitioned the State Board of Education for withdrawal from SAU #53. After withdrawl, SAU #15 was formed, with Auburn School District joining the districts of Hooksett, Candia and Raymond. Mr. Cawley was the Superintendent of SAU #15. On June 30, 1991 David Cawley retired with 21 years of service in the SAU office, but with 31 years of service to the Hooksett School District.
Mr. Cawley had eight children, Richard, Dave, Chris, Maureen, JP, Mathew, Jennifer, Prudence. The new middle school that was opened in the fall of 2003 is named after David. R. Cawley for his 31 years of dedication to the students, teachers, and Hooksett community.